Two Colleges, One ApplicationWith two distinct entry points for undergraduate studies, Emory College and Oxford College, Emory University offers a unique stream-lined system that allows for simple consideration to one or both of the schools. Whether applying to Emory College, Oxford College, or both, applicants begin the process by searching for "Emory University" under the College Search tab on the Common Application.
As you work through the Questions section of the Emory University "My College" tab of the Common Application you will be able to designate which of the colleges you apply to and under which admission plan. There is only one $75 application fee required whether you apply for Emory College, Oxford College, or both schools. Students who apply to both schools may elect independent decision plans (ED1, ED2, or RD) and students will receive an independent decision from each College.
Selecting Admission PlansAfter selecting and adding "Emory University" on your My Colleges tab, you will be able to begin to work on the Emory University-specific Questions and Writing Supplement. Under the Questions section for Emory University on your My Colleges tab, you will be asked a series of questions to determine which colleges and admission plans you are applying for.
Preferred start term
First-year, freshman applicants to Emory University are only eligible to apply for the fall term.
Preferred admission plan
Select your preferred admission plan. For further details about our admission plans visit our Admission Plans and Deadlines page.
"Are you applying to" questions
The next two questions ask whether you want to apply to Emory College and whether you want to apply to Oxford College. Select yes to both questions if you want your application to be considered for both colleges. You are required to select "Yes" to at least one of these questions. Do note, if you choose to select "No" for both colleges, your application will be downloaded as an Emory College only application. For detailed information about these options and the difference between Emory College and Oxford College, please visit: http://apply.emory.edu/discover/featured/experience.php.
"Different admission plan" question
The following question is for applicants who selected to apply to both Emory College and Oxford College. If applicants wish to be considered under different admission plans for Emory College and Oxford College, they may select the decision plan for Oxford College here. If a student applying to both colleges does not select a different decision plan here, then their application will be considered under the same decision plan for both colleges.
Need-based financial aid question
Applicants should answer "Yes" to this question if they plan on applying for need-based financial aid. Please refer to the Financing Your Education section of our website for details on financial aid deadlines and requirements.
Fee waiver question
Selected students are informed by the Office of Undergraduate Admission that they qualify for an Emory University fee waiver. Students who have been offered a fee waiver by Emory University should select "Yes" to this question.
Applying for the Emory University Scholars ProgramIf you would like to apply for the Emory University Scholars Program, with a November 15 deadline, you will need to select that option when answering the following question:
Emory College, Oxford College, and the Goizueta Business School offer partial to full merit-based tuition scholarships and membership in Scholars Programs to incoming first-year students. The purpose of these highly selective Scholars Programs is to provide scholarships, dedicated programming, and distinct opportunities to attract the most promising students to Emory University. To be considered, students must submit a completed application by the Emory University Scholars Selection deadline of November 15 (ED1 applicants must submit by November 1). Are you interested in being considered for these Scholars Programs?
Selecting the Emory University Scholars Program option requires you to submit all application materials by the November 15 deadline.
Writing SupplementOnce you have completed the General section under the Question tab for Emory University, you will need to answer addition questions under the Academics, Contacts, and Family sections. The last section under the Questions tab is the Writing section.
In addition to the Common Application's Personal Statement, applicants to Emory University are required to compose an answer—500 words or less—to one of the following essay options:
Essay Option 1
Emory University welcomes first-year students with two distinct options to begin their liberal arts education: the research-infused Emory College or the smaller, experiential learning Oxford College. If you could create an academic course that is in the Emory University spirit of collaboration, creativity, entrepreneurship and inquiry, what would it be? What impact would the course have on you and your classmates' educational experience?
Essay Option 2:
What is something you have taught yourself in the last year? How did you teach yourself this new skill or concept and what was the result?
Your supplemental essay should provide insight on your character as well as your potential fit with Emory University. Please consider your response thoughtfully, as the Admission Committee has special interest in this portion of your application.
- Whether applying to Emory College, Oxford College, or both colleges, there is only one $75 application fee required. The application fee must be paid online through the Common Application. Students who feel they qualify for a fee waiver can certify so in the Common Application Profile fee waiver section.
- Please submit your transcripts and recommendations online if possible, or have these items mailed by your school in one package to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. You need only submit supporting documents once, no matter if you are applying to both Emory College and Oxford College.
- Students who apply to both Oxford College and Emory College will have their application reviewed independently and will receive an independent decision from each school.
- If you have already submitted the Common Application to only Emory College or Oxford College, you may later decide you would like to be considered for admission to the other college. In order to be considered for admission to that other college, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting your application be added.
- A student's application will not be complete and will not be processed until the Common Application, complete Questions section with Writing Supplement of the Emory University "My College" tab, and application fee (or fee waiver) have been submitted. Applicants may check the status of their application materials at opus.emory.edu once these items have been submitted and processed.